Since I moved to a few months ago, I been working hard to develop a program for my cooking classes in San Diego North County. I’ve found an amazing instruction kitchen to use for my cooking classes.
So if you give me a drum roll ….. these are my ideas for Winter/Spring 2018:
Knife Skills Class
A fully hands-on class in which I teach you how to use you knives like a pro. I’ll explain everything about the different kinds and shapes of knives, but mostly you will chop. And chop. Chop. Mince. Supreme. Cut. Dice. Just bring an apron and your knives. Note: Workshop style cooking class (2 hours)
Spanish Tapas Feast
Shared dining is not a new concept. Originated in the Andalusia region in Spain, nowadays everyone all over the world loves tapas. These small bites, originally used to cover a glass of sherry to protect it from flies, can be as simple as a slice of cheese. In this class we’ll go a bit more advanced than that. Warning: after last year’s class, some students changed their Christmas dinner plans! 😉 (2.5 hours)
Home Made Pasta
Knowing how to make your own pasta is not a life saving skill. Unless you live in Italy, maybe. But it is a lot of fun to do, especially when someone else cleans up all that flour dust! 😉 Come to this hands-on class for a lot of fun and the best pasta ever. Note: Workshop style cooking class (2 hours)
Want to sign up/get more information?
Fill in this from and I’ll get back to you with all the details.
All my cooking classes are open to adults only, and I’m happy to accommodate all dietary restrictions, just let me know about them when signing up.
What makes Edie’s cooking classes unique?
My cooking classes in San Diego North County always all hands-on and a whole lotta fun! You get you hands dirty and chop, cook and plate the dishes yourself, I only guide and tell you all my tricks and tips. My recipes are unique and developed by me. In general, veggies will play the starring role, and I’ll show you how with what cooking technique(s) and flavor combinations you get the best out of them. But just like I show you on my blog, I definitely don’t forget about cheese, meat, fish and starches!
Thanks for asking! I’m Edie Dourleijn and I started to teach cooking classes right after culinary school. I get my inspiration from all over the world, and mix and match styles, techniques and flavors. I love the way they use vegetables in the Mediterranean countries, herbs and spices in the Middle East, beans in Central America, potatoes in my home country The Netherlands, and I’m still learning the tricks to cook big meats in the smoker the way you guys are doing it here in the USA. Whisk that up with my love to understand what’s going on in my pots and pans, and you could say, I feel pretty at home here in California! You can read more about me here.
Where do you teach your cooking classes and workshops?
I will teach my cooking classes in San Diego North County at the kitchen of the Center for a Healthy Lifestyle at the Boys & Girls Club in Encinitas.
All Menu cooking classes are fully hands-on. You learn how clean and prep the vegetables, make your own marinades and dressings, get to stir in the pots yourself; basically you cook everything from start to finish. And then we sit down and enjoy all that we made. These cooking classes are 2.5 hours.
The workshop style cooking classes (like the knife skills class), however, are only 2 hours and are all about culinary skills. I’ll make sure we have something to nibble on, but we won’t have a sit down dinner.
Please note (aka Terms and Conditions)
* All classes are reserved on a first come first serve basis. Participation is only guaranteed after you received a confirmation of your payment. It’s your responsibility to contact me if you haven’t received your confirmation within a week after paying.
* Cancellations are not refundable, but you are welcome to send someone in your place. Please notify me at least 24 hours in advance. If you are registered for a class and do not show up, then that class is a used ticket.
* Due to the small size and personal style of my classes, I reserve the right to cancel, change or reschedule any confirmed class.
• When participating in a class, you release, indemnify and exclude me, my contractors and employees from any and all liability of any kind in case of physical injury incurred, or any damage to or loss of personal items or to the rental kitchen and my items while attending a class.
* You understand these terms and conditions and accept the inherent risks of a kitchen environment when you make a full payment for a class.
Do you have other ideas or wishes about learning how to cook with me? Let me know!